Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Secrets Of Sugar

It all started after I read the book "The 10-Day Detox" by Mark Hyman. I would need to eliminate sugar from my diet and the plan was to start on January 5, 2015. I was already sick with sugary treats from the holidays and ready to quit my addiction. I asked my husband if he wanted to do the 10 day detox with me and he said, "well, I don't need to lose weight" to which I replied, "no, but you are addicted to sugar" to which he agreed. I have always been able to tell when this man has eaten sugar. It has actually been some really quite pleasurable times for me to watch and be a part of because he gets really funny and fun after he eats the white stuff. Sometimes I would get him to eat it just for my pleasure. Ha!

Ok, so he was on board to do no sugar for 10 days, even though I knew I wanted to do it longer. Now I just had to get the kids on board, not that they really had a choice but its always better if they want to do it anyway. Our kids rarely if ever ate suckers or candy because I already thought these were not healthy. With my husband being from Eastern Europe, chocolate was a big part of our sugar addiction. However, overall the kids were pretty ok with being more healthy.

I explained a lot of things from this great video from the Fifth Estate called The Secrets of Sugar. I would recommend this video to EVERYONE. My kids even watched about half of it.

The most important things is to teach your kids. We sat down as a family (before we told them what our plan was) and talked about what healthy meant and what being healthy does for our bodies...ie makes them stronger, easier to fight sickness, etc. And then said this year we want to be more healthy. I asked them if that's what they want. They said yes. Of course, kids don't really want to damage their bodies, they just aren't taught.

Then we said we are first going to start with sugar because this is what sugar does to our bodies and too much sugar is even worse. We explained the difference between processed sugar and sugar in fruits. We also explained how bad high fructose corn syrup was and WHAT it was. We explained all the bad things that can happen if they have too much sugar.

Next is to actually implement the no added sugar. It's hard to throw away things, especially if you were taught to not be wasteful. But you have to clean out all the cupboards, pantry, fridge and freezer. Everything with high fructose corn syrup must be thrown out. But I didn't throw away my organic sugar from Costco. I wasn't sure if I would use it in the future for baking. But I did put it off the counter. I put it in the very back of the pantry. As they say, out of sight, out of mind.

Let the kids help! That gets them involved with the process. Look at all your labels and if it lists sugar, toss it. Show them where to find this on the ingredients and under the chart. I only tossed it if it was added sugar or high fructose corn syrup. For example our applesauce has sugar but its natural, not added.

Then go through instances at school where they might come across sugar laden stuff and teach them how to say no. I sent an email to all their teachers.

Dear Teachers,

Our family is trying to eliminate as much sugar from our diets as possible. For the rest of the school year, please do not give Elijah or Nicolae candy as treats/rewards. If you'd like something else to give them I can bring in pencils or something else. If everyone is having something, please ask them if they would like it, don't just give to them. We've had discussions and if they choose to make that decision then that's their choice, but its easier to say no when you are asked if you'd like some, versus just handing it out.

I know you have a lot of students so if you forget, don't worry, I understand. Its not the end of the world, just please do your best and try and limit the sugar my kids receive from you at school. 

Thank you so much for everything you do for our kids!

Parent rules: The most important thing is that you don't cheat. Cause if you do they will know. I made sure to tell them if they accidentally ate some it wouldn't kill them and I wouldn't be mad.

The first week is the hardest. Take them shopping at the store and help them find stuff for you and let them see that you are checking labels and if it has added sugar then they see you not buy it. There is always another way to make something without using processed sugar!!

Check with them every day and ask them how they did at school, were they tempted by something and high five them when they resisted temptation and ask them how that made them feel when they made the healthy decision. If they recognize that good feeling they had that will help the next time be easier.

Currently we are at 48 days without any added or processed sugar!



2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog, Rebecca!! I hope this will inspire other parents to do the same.

    ReplyDelete