Thursday, March 19, 2015

Yummy Mung Beans

I work with a guy who is from India and since eating whole food plant based he's been sharing some recipes with me since he's a vegetarian. He gave me one for Green Moong Dal Makhani. Don't ask me what any of that means. All I know is that I really love mung beans! I get them in the bulk section of whole foods.

I have adapted this recipe for the spice pansies that live in my house. I then adapted it for use in my new Instant Pot! If you like it more spicy you can double the spices. (I halved them from the original recipe.)

Stove Top Recipe:

1 cup raw, dry mung beans
an inch piece of ginger, grated or sliced
1 14 oz can of diced tomato
1 4 oz can of green chilies
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1/2 can coconut milk

Rinse and soak raw, dry mung beans in 3 cups of water.  Let soak for at least 8 hrs or overnight. I've even let them soak for 24 hours. I also soak them in a colander. It makes them easy to remove and rinse from the soaking water. After soaking I like to rinse them again and put them in enough water to boil them. Boil until soft and mushy.

Heat a skillet pan and cover the bottom of the pan with just enough water to use for sauteing the ginger. You can also use oil if you prefer. After sauteing for a few minutes add the tomatoes, green chilies, and spices, let simmer for 7-10 minutes and then add in the cooked Mung Beans and coconut milk. If you like more coconut milk you can use a full can. Its totally up to you. Let cook another 5 minutes. Serve over brown rice or a baked potato.

Instant Pot Recipe:

1 14 oz can of diced tomato
1 4 oz can of green chilies
1 cup raw, dry mung beans
1 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1/2 to 3/4 can coconut milk
1 cup water

Rinse and soak raw, dry mung beans in 3 cups of water.  Let soak for at least 8 hrs or overnight. I've even let them soak for 24 hours. I also soak them in a colander. It makes them easy to remove and rinse from the soaking water. After soaking I like to rinse them again.

Add ingredients in the order above to your instant pot. Select the beans or manual setting for 20 minutes. Cook and leave to warm 7-10 minutes. Let it release the steam on its own or release it gradually. Serve over brown rice or a baked potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment